Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
11 items read/watched / 57 (19.30%)

08 November 2017

Audio Catch-Up: Fourth Doctor Adventures, H. G. Wells, and Torchwood

It's been a while, and I don't have a post to run this Wednesday, so here's my recent witterings on Big Finish audio dramas.
  • Vivisection run amok in Big Finish Classics: The Island of Doctor Moreau. "Fundamentally, I suspect, this is a story whose horror is ill-suited to audio."
  • Evolution run amok with the fourth Doctor in Doctor Who: Dethras. "There’s also a lot of rattling off of cod-scientific terms, in the fashion of the era that gave us 'chronic hysteresis' and 'block transfer computation'."
  • Seances with the fourth Doctor in Doctor Who: The Haunting of Malkin Place. "Sound designer Jamie Robertson does a great job with the sound, especially the séance, which was unsettling even though I listened to the story in broad daylight while commuting to work!" 
  • The deepest of time in Big Finish Classics: The Time Machine. "I mostly know [Ben] Miles from his role as Patrick on Coupling, which is about as far from the erudite Time Traveller as you can get, but he comes across as the quintessential Victorian amateur scientist here."
  • The fourth Doctor meets mole-men(!) in Doctor Who: Subterranea. "Way back in the day, Big Finish did The Sandman, which really used its distinctive setting of a migratory space fleet called 'the Clutch' to good effect; I think that if this had done the same, it could have been a minor classic."
  • There's sex plagues, domestic killings, gig economy apps, and police violence in Torchwood: Aliens Among Us 2. "Andy has always been as steady as a rock in his own way [...] so listening to him as his world disintegrates is just so desperately sad."
Phew!

I've moved slowly and fallen behind in my audio listening the past couple years, but now spending 70+ minutes in the car every day commuting, plus however much other listening time I get in, means I've been moving much faster through my backlog. Maybe someday I'll catch up! The problem now isn't listening to them, it's writing them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment