15 December 2016

Review: Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street by Michael Davis

Trade paperback, 379 pages
Published 2009 (originally 2008)
Borrowed from my wife
Read November 2014
Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street
by Michael Davis

After reading the excellent Jim Henson: The Biography, I grew interested in a book my wife has owned for a long time but never read, Michael Davis's complete history of Sesame Street. I have read a lot of histories of television shows, and Street Gang is one of the worst. It is confusing, choppy, and filled with too many people. I understand that they were all real, but Davis does a very poor job orienting you in who they are and why they matter. I often felt like important events had been glossed over between chapters and that unimportant events had been dwelt upon in excruciating detail. The best parts of the book were the ones about Sesame Street's predecessors, but I'm not sure what they actually had to do with the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment