03 November 2007

Archival Review: Ahistory: An Unauthorized History of the Doctor Who Universe by Lance Parkin with Lars Pearson

Ahistory: An Unauthorized History of the Doctor Who Universe
by Lance Parkin with Lars Pearson


This chronological guide to every Doctor Who episode, novel, and audio drama came out in late 2005, and I acquired it then.  Of course, like one should with a reference book, I dipped in and out it as I wanted to know things, but I also started a straight readthrough when I first got it.  Somewhere along the line, this stopped, but recently, the news of the forthcoming second edition of the book (which will add in the comic strips) caused me to go back to and attempt to finish from where I had left off, in the 1990s.  The future history of Doctor Who actually makes for enjoyable reading; the various random pieces we've seen over the years fit together remarkably well into a coherent whole, showing as Earth rises, is invaded, falls, creates an Empire, falls, joins a Federation, and so on time and again.

1 comment: