08 August 2017

Hugos 2017: Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee

Trade paperback, 317 pages
Published 2016

Acquired May 2017
Read July 2017
Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee

This book was weird and difficult to follow. I had known that would be the case going in, and I had even read some explanations of it on /r/printSF beforehand... and I still had no idea what was going on. It's space opera, but battle has something to do with people's beliefs in calendar systems? It didn't matter how many explanations I read, I just had no idea what was actually happening when people fought in this book. It's deliberately disorienting, which can be interesting, but Yoon Ha Lee did not pull it off successfully, just leaving me frustrated and eager to get the whole thing over with as I increasingly lost interest. If I don't know how your world works, it's hard for me to care who controls it.

Next Week: A last attempt to solve the three-body problem in Death's End!

No comments:

Post a Comment