20 August 2015

Review: Visual and Other Pleasures by Laura Mulvey

Hardcover, 232 pages
Published 2009 (contents: 1970-2009)
Borrowed from the library
Read January 2013
Visual and Other Pleasures by Laura Mulvey

I read this book for my exams, and I seem to have misplaced my notes, so this review is going to be necessarily slight. It was suggested to me because my research project is about vision, about how the way we see translates into the way we think, and Mulvey of course has a lot to say about how we look, especially in her famous "Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema." Its justly oft-cited, but I found little that was of help to my own project in it, and even less in the other essays in the book. Oh well, these things happen, and it's not a fault of the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment