03 August 2015

Reading Roundup Wrapup: July 2015

There are to be some changes around here! Instead of blogging on my usual M-W-F schedule, and kind of doing things in themed chunks (i.e., last week I did three Bernice Summerfield New Adventures, the week before that I did three New Jedi Order stories, and so on), I'm going to try to blog every day, and to work simultaneously to clear out my backlog of 177 unreviewed books and stay on top of the books I read as I read them. To this end, I'll be restructuring a bit, reading themed books on certain days:
  • Mondays: These will be the days I review books I've read most recently.
  • Tuesdays: I'll review books that I read as part of my various "reading projects," such as my working through of all IDW's Doctor Who collections, or all the James Bond 007 novels, or whatever.
  • Wednesdays: "Faster than a DC Bullet" will continue as long as I continue to check graphic novels out of the library. Batman is up next!
  • Thursdays: On Thursdays, I'll focus on clearing out my backlog, prioritizing books without many reviews on LibraryThing (because why not).
  • Fridays: I'll witter on about something else-- my current research project(s), my teaching, my comic books, or whatever strikes my fancy.
But first, there's a roundup to be had...

Pick of the month: The Calcutta Chromosome: A Novel of Fevers, Delirium & Discovery by Amitav Ghosh. I read this because when I went to the Science Fiction Research Association and presented on Manula Padmanabhan's story story "Gandhi-Toxin," the first question I got asked was would I draw any parallels between the mosquitoes in her postcolonial science fiction story to the mosquitoes in Ghosh's postcolonial science fiction story. I deferred the question, and then made sure to read The Calcutta Chromosome on my next vacation.

All books read:
1. Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic III: Reunion by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
2. The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
3. The Calcutta Chromosome: A Novel of Fevers, Delirium & Discovery by Amitav Ghosh
4. Doctor Who Magazine: Special Edition #40: The Art of Doctor Who edited by Marcus Hearn
5. Doctor Who: The Seventh Doctor: The Ripple Effect by Malorie Blackman
6. Erimem: The Last Pharaoh by Iain McLaughlin and Claire Bartlett
7. Final Crisis: Rogues’ Revenge by Geoff Johns
8. Richard Meier & Partners: White is the Light by Philip Jodidio
9. Final Crisis Aftermath: Run! by Matthew Sturges

All books acquired:
1. Bernice Summerfield XIII: Secret Histories edited by Mark Clapham
2. David Copperfield: The Author's Personal Prompt Copy by Charles Dickens
3. The Merritt Parkway: The Road That Shaped a Region by Laurie Heiss & Jill Smyth
4. Gothic Science Fiction, 1818 to the Present by Sian MacArthur

Books remaining on "To be read" list: 606

See you tomorrow for a review of Doctor Who: When Worlds Collide!

No comments:

Post a Comment