27 June 2012

Audio Catchup: Doctor Who: The Jupiter Conjunction

written by Eddie Robson
directed by Ken Bentley
released May 2012

starring
Peter Davison as the Doctor
Janet Fielding as Tegan Jovanka
Mark Strickson as Vislor Turlough
Sarah Sutton as Nyssa
Doctor Who #160: The Jupiter Conjunction

Though I enjoyed Big Finish’s first trilogy that reunited the Fifth Doctor with Nyssa, Tegan, and Turlough (CobwebsThe Whispering ForestThe Cradle of the Snake), it didn’t push its TARDIS team into must-buy status for me, and thus I gave a miss to the second trilogy — and I’d intended to do so to the third.

But there I was, reading reviews for The Jupiter Conjunction, a release which had been overshadowed in my mind by the fact that Big Finish was bringing back Magnus Greel in a prequel to The Talons of Weng-Chiang in the final instalment of this trilogy. As usual, I had grumbled sight unseen about the return of yet another villain from the Hinchcliffe/Holmes era; I’m still waiting for Kandyman II: Sweeties’ Revenge. Anyway, many of the reviews of The Jupiter Conjunction were saying that it was a nice, solid story, the sort that wouldn’t knock the world over but perhaps was the kind of thing Doctor Who should generally aspire to.

No comments:

Post a Comment